Horses and Chickens, Sidewalks and Subways...no matter where you call home, a Mom's Heart Beats the Same

Thursday, April 5, 2012

City Mom's homeschool REALITY

When we decided to start a blog...ANOTHER BLOG about homeschooling, Country Mom and I wanted to present ourselves honestly. We have some good ideas. We can be creative. We have really good and cute kids. We like to share the good, but never want to come off as if we are perfect, or that we in ourselves are something to strive to go after. We'll share our ideas...and the imperfections that accompany them on the way. Here are some realities about City Mom's homeschool life:






 JoJo likes to change up the answers to our "Good Morning" song we do during Calendar Time. The other day instead of saying "I'm fine" she said, "I'm Obama" during her portion of the song. Do other people's kids change it up like this? Or is it just mine?




Then it was Odes' turn to answer. He also decided to answer "I'm President Obama" only with the intent to get others riled up. Are my kids the only ones who fight during calendar time? Confession: I used to get upset about stuff like this. I mean, my kids weren't looking like the perfect bloggers' families I'd seen doing these activities. What was wrong with us?


The kids make the Pledge of Allegiance into a goofy time. Hitting each other with the flag, laughing. JuBe was the only true participant. Is this what homeschool looks like? Is it something I've done? Should I be cracking down on the kids and making sure we are doing this "right"?


During devotions this morning I asked the question "How do we let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts?" Someone answered, "I smelled **George's gas once. I mean, I didn't put my face in his butt, but I smelled it. More than once." That put an end to our time. Really, no one could recover.

As I begin to share ideas, curriculum picks, how we organize, some or our family goals, some pictures, our "pinteresting" existence, I want you to remember this post. I get asked often: "how do you do it all" "your kids are soooo well behaved" "I could just NEVER do what you do" ... remember this post.
My kids are great, great kids. They are not perfect kids. I am NOT supermom/perfect mom. I am however, learning that these little "blurps" in our day are really the "gifts" in our day. I'm learning to laugh and enjoy and realize that we don't need to look like our friend's homes, blogger's homes, or anyone else's home but OUR home. That is a happy place to be. It's the best place to be.

And remember, the next time you see pictures of my kids or hear about our family devotion time...our kids are probably talking about the scent of your kid's gas. Oh boy!


**name changed to protect the identity of the child.




2 comments:

  1. all five of us caswells laughed riotously over this--the words AND the video clips! (and by the way...was it MY kid's gas?!?) thanks for sharing the reality...while my "homeschooling" isn't exactly a full-time deal, it's definitely filled with moments like these. this is a great reminder to embrace the chaos AND the little people in one gigantic hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha Caswells! Glad you got a giggle :) It wasn't your kid's gas...but I kinda wish it was. You are one of the main encouragements to help me embrace the chaos Liz :)

    ReplyDelete