Horses and Chickens, Sidewalks and Subways...no matter where you call home, a Mom's Heart Beats the Same

Monday, April 2, 2012

The Goal of Our Instruction is LOVE...

I struggle as a mom with "perfectionism." Do you?
I want the school room clean, the dishes done, the beds stripped, the vacuuming done on the second level of the house, everyone dressed, teeth brushed, and rooms cleaned---by 9:00 on a Monday. I want to be up early, work out, quiet time, showered, dressed before the kids get up. That is an ideal Monday morning for CityMom.
*Note...it is 11:00 and I have not showered, and none of the above chores have been finished (or started)...but we are all dressed with great dental hygiene in place.

I asked the boys to clean up their toys in the school room before we got started. They BEGGED permission to keep it all out. "ugh," thinks City Mom...I can't THINK with clutter, we can't do school. 
Then, I think of our Parenting Group last night, 1 Tim. 1:5...
"The goal of our instruction is love..."
No biggie to keep the toys out today. Right?



We start Calendar Time each morning together. It brings us together. It gives us direction. It helps the littles feel like they've been poured into. We have a kid of the day. Today that kiddo was Odes...which means, yep...it was a goofy Calendar Time. 


JoJo

Odes

JuBe

Peebs

Messy room...scattered time...what is my goal again? oh yes...love!

The littles love making dramatic faces for pictures.

The kid of the day, performing part of his privilege...entering the "day of the week"

...leading the pledge of allegiance. When Odes leads it's usually a big joke, and the littles yell, "AMEN!" at the end and giggle til they can't giggle anymore (about that particular little funny). 



For Calendar Time. We sing songs, talk about the date, talk about family issues, talk about and pray for our country and country leaders, do pre-school activities, like general weather, counting coins, and colors. We review our address. We pray for people in our lives and for our favorite Missionary :)

Odes picks out a weather card...

He picks the "color of the day"

...then they are off. After a short instruction with letters...the smaller 3 play. They moved their toys and spread them from school room all over the front entry way. This stresses out City Mom. But...my goal is...LOVE. Let it go...

JuBe sits at the table and does her math. I look at this picture and get excited for the new additions to our school room that are coming soon. I love to be organized and hate clutter. So, this is vulnerable for me to share...

I hate messes, but I'm not a "scheduled" person, and lately even "routine" has been tough for my free-spirited personality. I love my kids, and love having them home, and love the opportunity to shape their little hearts. We'll go into this week with this goal for our instruction...LOVE. It is shaping every choice I make. Will we get this place cleaned up? You bet...can it wait while my boys are in the throes of an epic battle with their Star Wars and castle guys? Yes...
Off to finish up history and Bible. My loving sacrifice to my little quartet I love so much.

1 comment: