Horses and Chickens, Sidewalks and Subways...no matter where you call home, a Mom's Heart Beats the Same

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pray For Rain ~ City Mom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGKBMBYkWU

I recently took a road trip. I brought along a few friends from my past:
James Taylor, Christy & Nathan Nockels, Whitney Houston, Garth Brooks, Clint Black, Brian Eichenberger (OK, he actually IS an old friend), Joel Hanson and the PFR guys were among the crew. It was a packed little Honda Accord!!!





The past decade has been an interesting one musically. Right around the time I had my first baby, I also had a time of deep pain in regards to my musical journey. The combination of the painful event and the first baby caused me to put all musical ambition on hold. Don't get me wrong...I've had much joy as a mother over the past several years, HOWEVER, I have switched off a crucial element in my life. God has always used music to reach me. The gospel became clear to me through a SONG. I played instruments and sang all through grade school at church. In middle school I began to get a taste of truly "educating myself" in music as I played in the jazz band. I was in dance. I liked theater. In high school, music/theater/choir/band were really the only things I cared about. This led to seeking a degree in music and a career in music after graduation. Every missions trip I've ever been on turned into me somehow being an element of some type of "song-leader" even when I tried to avoid it---it's just been a part of who I am. Almost all of the turning points or significant times in my life, can be led back to a certain song, or band, or show, or gig. Even when I was near death in a foreign country, the way God spoke to my heart was through a song. 


It's really been tragic to turn off this area of my life. It's affected my personhood and spiritual journey.
But, last Summer, my dear friend Handt,


asked me to come sing with his worship team. I cried through the entire rehearsal. Until he looked over and told me I had five days to get it together...and then I laughed. This flood of tears, opened up a flood-gate in my heart. Then I remembered my friend Brian (Ike) had a CD out. He sent it to me and it made me so happy to hear his developed gift for song-writing, and his amazing skills. http://www.ikemusic.com/

This all led to my road trip. There were some really great moments of memories listening to the songs from the artists above. But two of my favorites came from PFR...the song linked above and a song I'll link below. I don't know that I want to EXPLAIN the significance in them for me, as that will seem to take away a bit from the ART. But, I will say that the second verse of "Grace of God" was particularly compelling. "So, I bought the lie and I chained my soul..."

Unchain my soul Lord God! By the Grace of God!!!
The flood gates have been opened, and the Song in my Heart...is back. It's a little wiser now...it's a little more cautious...it's a little more open at the same time.  I'm made whole again. Thanks friends for joining me on my road trip and being instruments (ar, ar) in my journey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXukyxom8Fw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL55F6BB0FDA611D17


No comments:

Post a Comment