Horses and Chickens, Sidewalks and Subways...no matter where you call home, a Mom's Heart Beats the Same

Monday, May 7, 2012

Homeschool Lyceum~City Mom

I need to preface this by saying, "yes, I know how extremely blessed we are!"
One of the things that can be difficult about the choice of the homeschool lifestyle is the perception of things missed. I have thought of the elementary school lyceums or little parties or holiday programs and at times wondered if my kids were really missing out. However, there are so many ways to make life "special" or "stand out" when your kids are home. Sometimes you need just a little creativity or ingenuity. Sometimes you just need some AMAZING parents/grandparents to kick it in gear!


Last Thursday was National Day of Prayer. My dad called early in the week and said he wanted to do an event with my kiddos and my brother's kids. We sat around our kitchen table while Papa taught us a bit about the constitution and the history of the day. We talked about our freedoms in this country and some of the beliefs of the founding-fathers. Dad came awesomely prepared and we enjoyed the content, with a few giggles inserted here and there from the little's antics. I think we all especially loved when little JoJo went on & on & on about President Obama. I mean, it really is fun to say his name!


 



Then...we prayed.

pre.cious
 I know many homeschooling families do not have the support of people in their lives. So believe me, it brought me to tears more than once, to realize that my children and I were sitting in my home with my brother's homeschooled kids and his wife, and our precious Papa & Nana as they poured their lives into us. I loved that dad picked the "National Day of Prayer" to honor...but to be totally honest, it could have been ANYthing and I would have been just as moved. To know we have their support is amazing. To know they want to pass on the legacy of Christ to their grandchildren is a blessing beyond the description of words.
The kids wore all of their new "Arizona" t-shirts they got in Easter baskets from Papa and Nana's recent visit.

Oh, I love these boys so much! 
Sweet cousins
 Mom/Nana brought over pre-made lunches for all the kids...complete with drink boxes and fruit leathers. First they provided us with educational material based on values we desire to promote and then FEED us too?!?!?
Thanks for lunch Nana/Nan/Nanny/Neena/NewKnee/Hannah
As I watch my parents interact with the world, I'm challenged. I want to look at their example and reach out and serve and give to others. I want to live selflessly in my home with my own children. Thank you Mom and Dad/Papa & Nana for shining your lights for us, for loving us, for encouraging us and investing your lives in us. It means more than you will ever know!

So, blog readers...I'd love to hear from you! What do you do in your home to make certain days stand out more than others? Are their significant people in your lives that give of themselves in your homeschooling efforts? Is this something you desire, but lack? How are YOU shining your light to encourage others in their home educational efforts? Share the LOVE ;)
Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. that is SO FUN!

    we have a weekly tradition of couch bed night. every thursday night (which is our friday night since shane works sundays) we pull out the couch bed and all snuggle up together.

    the boys can choose our bed or the couch bed. it's fun! we get to stay up later and usually watch a riveting tv show, such as swamp people, together

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fun Bugs! can I join you for swamp people some night? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desire but lack. I'm still very blessed though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lil cutie blonde I wanna spear her then make her squeal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blonde little girl needs dick big and hard!

    ReplyDelete